Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Good Read THE LORAX by Dr. Seuss


I read The Lorax for the first time this week, and it gave me goosebumps!

That Dr. Seuss was a sly one after all! He was so far ahead of his time by years, I'd say!

This story is based on a wonderful land of Seuss creativity, where colorful Truffula trees with large tufts of truffula are plentiful with wonderful yummy truffola berries hidden away inside! Where the Lorax lives with his beautiful trees, clean air and his many friends the Swomee-swans, the Brown Bar-ba-loots and the Humming fish!

But along comes a villainous Once-ler who decides to make Thneed's out of the beauiful truffola trees and starts chopping them down! The next thing you know he's bringing in relatives to work and decides to get BIG, BIGGER and BIGGEST until his factory smoke stacks, are filling the air with dark clouds of smog and pipeloads of oozy, drippy goopidy goop are polluting more than you can see!

That's all I'm going to share with you, please check this out or buy it for your home library, it's well worth it!

Discussion Questions
1) Why does the Lorax speak for the trees? Why is it important to speak up for others? Have you ever spoken up for someone else? Has someone else ever spoken up for you?

2) The Once-ler says, "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." What does the Once-ler mean? Can one person make a difference? Can you? What are some things you can do to better your own environment?

I had a lot of tips to share here for Earth Day, but after reading The Lorax, I decided I couldn't have said it better and if you were to read this with your children or grandchildren it could make a world of difference! Please visit Seussville, there is so much there to share with the kiddos in your life and quite honestly, I totally enjoy going there myself! :)

Happy Earth Day, Debbie~

Reduce! Reuse! Recycle!


Baubles Buttons & Beads

2 comments:

Mem's Political Scrapbook said...

Oh Deb I love your blog for Earth Day and I always loved Dr. Seuss books! He was way beyond his time:) Very well written and fun.
I'm only on for a second so hopefully I will see you tomorrow.
Hugs, Mem

Nathalanes Place said...

Hello, I,ve got an award for you on my blog, Thanks
Nathalie